This is my Macaron attempt, it came out OK, not so smooth on the surface, still tasty!
Flavour wise, I used pandan, this is a good flavour and colour.
100g ground almond
100g icing sugar
pinch of salt
2 medium egg white
55g caster sugar
few drops panda flavour
1. Preheat oven 140c
2. Whisk the egg whites and salt until they form soft peaks. Add sugar and continue whisk until stiff peaks.
3. Sieve the icing sugar and ground almonds into a large mixing bowl.
4. Gently stir in the icing sugar and almond mix.The mixture will lose some air and become quite loose, don’t worry, this is the way it should be.
5. Add few drops of panda flavour, mix well.
6. Using a piping bag, pipe small blobs onto the sheet remembering that less is more at this stage because the mixture will settle and form into the allotted spaces.
7. Gently tap the baking sheet a few times on the work surface to help the macaron mixture to settle and to break any air bubbles, then leave to dry for 20 minutes – the surface of the macaron will become smooth and shiny.
8. Bake the macarons in the preheated for 7 – 8 minutes minutes, open the door to release any steam, close the oven door and cook for a further 7 – 8 minutes. The macarons are cooked when they feel firm and are slightly risen.
As for the filling, I cheated a bit, I used already made Pandan Kaya ( Coconut Jam with panda flavour ), I also used nuttella chocolate for half of the macarons. They turn out really well 🙂