This buttericious marble is is my all time favourite childhood memories, also one of my mum’s signature cake. Love it!
250g butter (salted), softened
50g + 100g sugar (150g in total)
4 large eggs
200g self raising flour, sifted.
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
10g cocoa powder + 2 tablespoons hot water
1. Preheat oven at 170C. Prepare a 8 inch square pan. Line the base and grease the sides (greasing helps the cake’s sides to rise well)
*Adjust your oven temperature accordingly.
2. Separate the eggs, and place the whites into a medium sized bowl (6 cup capacity). Beat egg whites until soft peaks, gradually add 50g sugar and beat until stiff. Set aside.
3. Cream butter and 100g sugar until pale and fluffy. Put in vanilla extract and beat for a while. Put in egg yolks one by one and beat well after each addition.
4. Put in half the flour and mix on low speed until incorporated. Put in milk in 2 additions and mix until well incorporated. Mix in balance of flour.
5. Put half the egg whites in and fold. Pour the balance of egg whites in and fold till combined.
6. Scoop about 3 dollops of batter into cocoa mixture. Mix well and this will be the cocoa batter.
7. Pour about 1/3 plain batter into prepared pan. Scatter half the cocoa batter throughout the top. Repeat the process till finish all the batter. Using a stick twirl the batter together using a figure-eight motion to mix batter up to get marble design.
8. Bake for 45 minutes or until skewer comes out clean.